Responsible to the program leadership this position will support staff to ensure the efficient functioning of the assigned division area. As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Program Assistant, Public Health provides administrative and technical support to assist in the delivery of programs and services in a fast-paced and challenging environment. In order to meet the program demands and priorities, while ensuring the efficient functioning of the assigned program, this role self-schedules their workload, creates records in appropriate electronic databases, supports program events/clinics where required, including evening hours and in a variety of community settings and maintains inventory of program materials and supplies. The role is required to act in accordance with relevant legislation, codes of ethics and applicable health procedures and policies and provides front line customer service to diverse clients and their families, health care providers, partnering agencies and internal staff.
- College Diploma – Office Administration – Executive College diploma or Health Services College diploma
- OR a post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Public Health or Health Science related
- 2 years recent related work experience (e.g. Public Health, health service or clinical setting experience dealing with medical and/or health terminology).
- Previous experience with program specific Ministry software/databases would be an asset.
- Previous experience and/or training in medical transcription an asset.
- Awareness of the Social Determinants of Health & priority populations would be an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to respond to the diverse needs of internal and external clients in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Proficient written communication skills including the ability to communicate ideas effectively via e-mail, synthesize discussions and take minutes at meetings.
- Proficient ability to develop and produce health correspondence, documents, reports and financial records and record retention.
- Requires accuracy and attention to detail in creating medical and legal documents.
- Advanced proof-reading and grammar skills.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and the various office equipment.
- Proficient ability to develop and/or format materials and documents in accordance with Niagara Region standards.
- Record/data management knowledge including file management and using databases.
- Previous experience with Intranet (e.g. SharePoint).
- Time management skills with ability to manage and reprioritize work with demands, interruptions/distractions under tight timelines with confidential material.
- Ability to work both independently and to function effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong problem solving skills to assist stakeholders and clients navigate the various program related processes.
- Works with team to identify and implement opportunities for continuous quality improvements
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evening hours, notice of shift changes will be provided in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Vaccinations as recommended in department policy IX-040.